Saturday, 22 September 2007

Live for the love of the common people

Yesterday at work came in with the lion - to begin with, I overslept, and only woke up at all when I surfaced and registered that the traffic girl was talking to a man, not a woman; Designated Driver rang while I was doing the litter trays to say that she'd be collecting M from the station, and would be swinging by my house about ten minutes earlier than I usually get to hers (and ten minutes is a lot in getting-ready-in-the-morning terms); it turned out that M's husband had totalled their car while she was away on her course and, to add to it, #1 son had been bitten by something and had an allergic reaction; when I got in, I discovered that LL had, rather high-handedly, thrown away my emergency cheese stash from out of the fridge, which was perfectly okay and well within its sell-by date (now I understand the Who Moved My Cheese? reference); and She Who Must Be etc stopped by my desk to tell me that the auditors were coming in, weren't happy with the stock, and might want to talk to me. Happy, happy, joy. But they didn't; SWMBetc left on a belated birthday trip before lunchtime; there were cookies in the afternoon; and we got to leave 20 minutes early. And, in the evening, there was new QI. Yay, my secret husband!

I had to get up today earlier than I would normally do on a weekend - had to go into Chavshire to pick up my new glasses, which was successfully accomplished, along with two lots of painkillers and some odds & sods from Tesco, including some choklit cake for the mini Sports Night chat I'm organising this evening - it had never occurred to me that if I tried to organise anything anybody might want to join in. Got in, had some lunch, crashed out, woke up with sore neck and splitting headache, went back to sleep again, had very odd dream about rescuing an angry father who had forgotten to get theatre tickets for his children (i: could this be my subconscious referring back to Dana and The Lion King and ii: there would be the seeds of a perfectly good romcom there, so it is a pity I dreamed myself as I am and not young and pretty). And then I woke up again, feeling hot, and dizzy, and sick. Apologised to J, and explained that I would be having a couple of bits of toast for dinner - she was very understanding. I am determined to prop myself up for the duration of the chat - in fact, once it starts, I may even forget about feeling ill - but the choklit cake will have to wait for another day.

And I haven't even tried on the glasses yet.

Everywhere, Chavland - and, I suppose, everywhere - is full of Christmas stuff already. I shall buy cards 'n' stuff from Oxfam in due course (I discovered in the course of the week that J did not know that Oxfam originated in Oxford. "Hence the name ..." I said, gently). Also, one of the shoe shops has some rather nice boots, and it appears to be buy one, get another pair half-price. I am very tempted. But all this will have to wait until I go in with J in the car, I am not sure that it wasn't the walk back, carrying a not-hugely heavy bag of shopping, that made me ill. There is the French market in town next weekend. If it's anything like the last few years it will be incredibly lame, but at least it's different.

Different is all we can hope for, most days. Interesting would be too much to ask.