Tuesday, 11 September 2007

Butchered to make a busman's holiday

After my total collapse at the weekend, I did more today at home than I usually do in about a week at work: bleached the sink, cleaned out the small fridge (for yes, we have two fridges, don't ask me why, it just happened that way), hoovered, washed (but, it goes without saying, did not iron) more or less every piece of fabric in the house, including my bedroom and study curtains and the net I have to have in my bedroom, yuck - I hate net curtains, doesn't everyone? - because I can see straight from my bed into the street and, give or take the angle and refraction of light, presumably vice versa, also cleaned a few windows. It doesn't actually sound that much, put like that, but I am exhausted, presumably from trotting back and forth between the garage and the clothesline. And climbing up and down stepladders. I have Grand Ambitions to get both my bedroom and my study completely clean, in a pulling-out-the-furniture-and-dusting-behind-things sort of way, but I don't know when that's going to happen. Probably not tomorrow. I must, must, must wash the kitchen floor, but I have to go into town to get my eyes tested, I made an appointment, and I want to try to get my hair cut too, so I can look lovely (some chance) for the races on Thursday.

J has gone off to her course, or conference, or whatever it is, so it's just me and the cats tonight and tomorrow. Not that it makes much difference, really, but it does mean I didn't have to cook, which was just as well, I really didn't have the energy.

Am reading some P G Wodehouse, just in case Mr Stephen Fry ever offers me his hand (his hand, and his brain, are really all I want). Although, according to a programme we watched on Saturday, he's a fan of Georgette Heyer, so we have that in common. Although although he admits to it as a Secret Shame, and I say the hell with that.

Because I do not have enough things I actually should be doing with my time - the filing springs to mind - I have managed to become addicted to AOL's hidden object games, and have downloaded the free trials for no less than four in the past few days. I can see myself ending up actually shelling out money on this, which will be a terrible waste. But, with luck, it won't last any longer than the sudoku craze, and then we can move on to the next thing.

None of this makes me feel any more fulfilled or happier, but it does fill up the void.