Thursday, 28 July 2011

A day of three halves

I went to bed last night slightly tearful after getting an absolutely lovely e-card from long-time friend Linda (I value my long-term friends all the more for having put up with me all these years). "I've been trying to think of what to say," she said, "and then realised there was nothing I could say." Which is true enough, although that doesn't seem to stop me.

I started the day with a leisurely tidy-up of my wardrobe, only managing to throw away one dress even though it seems entirely possible that I won't ever need my work clothes again. (I have a surprising number of surprisingly smart clothes for work; alas, all my workplaces for the past 20 years or so have been 'smart casual', accent on the 'casual'. Indeed, when Elsevier told me it had a dress-down Friday, I was seriously at a loss to think how they would manage it.) Then I uploaded the last few of my old Quantum Leap fics to AAOOO. That leaves only some unfinished stuff and some drabbles - quite a lot of drabbles - not posted there. Since my website is one of the things that has fallen victim to the current need for economy, AAOOO is my last, best hope for posterity, and I may post the drabbles; some of my drabbles are better than any of my longer fiction. Although I suppose that's not saying much.

Still nothing from the hospital today, and in the end I phoned the contact number they gave me last week. It didn't get off to an auspicious start - the first two times the number was engaged, and the third time I got through to someone who clearly had no idea what I was talking about. (I was in tears by this time. I have tried not to be too weepy and wussy, but there comes a point ...) Anyway: she put me on to the nurse I spoke to briefly last week. She didn't know what was going on either, but at least she went away to check and then called me back.

As far as I can tell, I have Schrodinger's Cancer. (I may already have made that joke, I can't be bothered to check.) The lung team don't think I belong to them; they passed me on to the breast team, who don't want me either. The next candidate is the gynaecological team. They don't have their meeting until Monday afternoon, so I won't hear anything until Tuesday. I hope they do decide to keep me, I really don't want them looking any lower.

I also asked about having the pleural effusion drained, which the doctor last week mentioned. They didn't know anything about that, either. *sigh* It does feel as though it needs doing again, so I hope someone, somewhere can get their act together.

I know that the NHS is overworked and understaffed, and I know that I'm just one of many patients, and only a priority in my own tiny mind. But still, it does seem a bit bad to me to tell someone that they're (at least potentially) seriously ill and then leave them hanging for a week with no word.

And then something strange - wonderful, but very strange - happened. Judy came into my study to say that our friend Anne had asked if I'd checked my PayPal account. Well, no, I hadn't, why should I? Was there some sort of hoax or scam going round? When I did check, it turned out that Anne had sent me £300 - ! "A little something to help tide you over."

I am speechless in the face of such generosity. I wish I wasn't; I'm sure I didn't thank her adequately. But, my god, if anyone asks me to nominate a candidate for sainthood, I know who my first choice will be.